March 05, 2014

gray skies and looking ahead

thielker_05

I have a theory that if anyone calls the wonderful Pacific Northwest "home" for any length of time, they will end up with at least a pinch of seasonal depression.

I know it sounds, well, depressing, but seasonal depression is a reality, and it definitely begins to affect me a bit around this time of year, when full weeks will go by without so much as a sun break. I start to get cabin fever. I want to be outside, but I don't at the same time. I want to get out of the house, but have no idea where to go. I want to be energetic and fun for my kiddos, but don't really feel like even changing out of my pj's.

Every rainy spring during college, there would come a time when I would want nothing more than to hop in my car and drive south until I hit sunshine. I probably would have if I could have afforded the gas. These days, I sigh over instagram feeds of bare feet laying poolside and people holding out drinks with umbrellas in front of sandy beaches. It's not that I feel I need a vacation or a break, I just need a break from the rain and the gray.

One way I have decided to cope is to give myself things to look forward to. It may sound juvenile, but little rewards just for getting through this season are actually helpful to me. On Monday, I made myself sit down with my calendar and find short-term and long-term things to look ahead to and get excited about. I thought maybe if I did this on a regular basis, and posted about them, I could be even more intentional about getting myself through the gray days of spring.

I am looking forward to a Bend getaway with Lane and a few other friends at the end of the month (even though it will be my first time being away from Eleanor overnight). Shorter-term I am looking forward to an adventure day with my mom and the kiddos on Friday. I needed something even shorter term, so I text Lane: "Rice krispie treats and games tonight?" His response: "Yep".


Is this something you do intentionally or subconsciously? How do you deal with the gray and rainy days? I would love some input on the subject!

Here's to sunny days ahead,
Ashley

(amazing grey sky painting by Gregory Thielker, found at this site)

8 comments:

  1. hehe this is so true- I always call this time of year the Rain and Mud Season. Bend is always a good idea and my daughter is named Eleanor too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy! In college I used to nanny for a family and their daughter was named Eleanor... But I haven't heard it since, with the exception of people's great-grandmothers! I love the name so much :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, living here in Oman, I get sick of the sun and wish for gray and rain! You always want what you don't have, huh? In the same way rain and cold keeps you guys inside, the sun keeps us inside during the hot months so we get some of that same feeling of being stir-crazy and such. I look forward to things ahead, definitely, and I TRY to find new, fun things to do inside with the kids, even though I feel lazy. I think if it was just Aberly, it would be easier to do, but with a baby/toddler, you know full well how it's hard to do some of that with them needing your attention and time. I don't know if there is a good answer, really. Hang in there! Enjoy Bend! We certainly miss our home there and look forward to summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck, that would almost be worse to have sunshine, but you can't go outside... I know what you mean about having kids different ages and trying to come up with indoor activities, not easy! Your little gals sure are cute though :-)

      Delete
  4. I feel like you are talking about me in your post.. haha. Sorry to add to the sadness! :)I know exactly what you mean though. I think our new thing will be to go on a little vacation in February even if it's just a weekend trip to Arizona or something. The rainy season is way too long! Hope you guys have so much fun in bend, and maybe you'll get some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until we have kids that is... probably can't pull that off easily with little ones:)

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a great idea... we'll join you in the coming February's! :-)

      Delete