February 06, 2014

french yogurt snack cake

I need to start this post with a confession: This is an adapted recipe.


I generally only post original recipes here on my little blog, but this one is a cover of another's work (obviously, because it is a French recipe, and I am not French).

It is actually adapted from a book that is not a cookbook. The book is called "Bringing Up Bebe". It is about French versus American parenting and is written by an American living in Paris. I have many thoughts on the book, but that is a whole other post. So for now, we will focus on the one recipe in the book.


This recipe is (apparently) often made by French children who eat it as their one snack of the day (my kids wouldn't survive a day in France). They use containers of yogurt as the base, and then measure out the other ingredients using the containers. One of the several adaptations I made was to convert the measurements from six ounce containers into cups. Another was to substitute olive oil for the vegetable oil. There is just something about that pure olive oil taste that I love in baked goods, and this cake is no exception.

James helped me make it, and later enjoyed his with a glass of cold milk. My slice was perfect with a cup of coffee.

We may not be French, but we can sure bake a great snack cake.


Gateau au Yaourt   (French Yogurt Cake)

3/4 cup yogurt (I used nonfat, a mixture of Greek and regular)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup olive oil
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 chocolate chips*

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray or butter.

Combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and oil in a large bowl. Sprinkle in flour and baking powder and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, until a knife in the center comes out clean. The top will turn a golden-brown.

*I would love to make this again during berry season and substitute some berries for the chocolate chips and add a little lemon zest

Happy snacking!
Ashley

PS Coffee in the background of the photos brought to me by a sweet friend from my favorite coffee shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment