April 21, 2016

simple make ahead egg sandwiches

We recently bought three dozen gorgeous local eggs laid by happy chickens, so we have been all egg crazy over here, making all sorts of yummy egg dishes with these colorful eggs and their bright, huge yolks that sit so high...


Anyway, I was telling my egg dealer (hi, Amy!) about this super simple casserole that I pre-made and we heat up one little square at a time to make an egg sandwich out of and she wanted the recipe. Unfortunately, I don't really do recipes, I just kind of wing it. So, for her and for myself I decided to make it again and write it down this time.


16 eggs
splash milk (2 tbsp?)
1/2 cup bacon bits (maybe 4 slices? I used turkey bacon)
2 chopped green onions (chives would also be delicious)
plenty of freshly ground black peppper
tiny pinch of salt (the bacon and cheese will already make it salty enough!)

Whisk all the ingredients together and pour into a 9x13 glass dish sprayed well with cooking spray.
I baked it in a 375 degree oven (convection setting) for about 20 minutes. Then I cut it into squares (I think I got about 15), set a slice of cheese on top of each square, and wrapped them individually in saran wrap.

I keep them in a bowl in the fridge next to the english muffins. Any time anyone wants one, they simply toast the muffin and microwave the egg for about 30 seconds, then make their little sandwich. They are perfect for an easy breakfast, but my kids also love them for snack.


And the best part? My five-year-old can make his own!

No comments:

Post a Comment