March 28, 2012

morning glory muffins


Yawn. Everyone has had a morning glory muffin, right? Nothing new. They are the ones that are "healthy" because they are full of carrot, apple, and nuts.


I have had my share of muffins that are supposed to be healthy, but are actually comprised of oil, white flour, and sugar. Not my muffins. Oh no.

I started by reducing the sugar and eliminating the raisins (in my opinion they have no business being in muffins, or, while we are on the subject, cinnamon roles either). Then I substituted water and flax meal for one of the eggs, and yogurt for part of the oil to keep them nice and moist. The result is a hearty yet delicate muffin. I have been eating them in twos, which is a terrible idea because they actually are very filling.


I am not completely sure of the exact measurements of the ingredients that went into the muffins. You see, James was helping me. He was also eating shredded carrot out of the bowl as soon as I would put it in. So, here is my best shot:

Morning Glory Muffins
adapted from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking
recipe says it makes a dozen, I got 16


2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups grated carrot
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
3/4 cup large unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs
1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water
1/3 cup lowfat or nonfat yogurt
1/3 cup canola or olive oil
juice of 1 orange

Whisk together the first ten ingredients (flour through walnuts). In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, flax meal, and water. Add yogurt, oil, and orange juice, and beat well. Stir in flour mixture until evenly combined.
Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray or line a with papers and coat them with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool in tin about five minutes before removing and setting the muffins on a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the raisins.. I don't think they should be in carrot cake either. I could actually do without them all together:) I have never had morning glory muffins, but these look delicious and I will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never, gasp!, had a morning glory muffin. Obviously, that needs to be remedied. These muffins looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete