December 30, 2013

rosemary walnut maple shortbread cookies

The idea for this recipe popped into my head when I tossed a bag of walnuts onto the counter and they landed next to a glass full of fresh rosemary sprigs my mother-in-law had just brought to me.



I wish the rosemary sprigs had actually come from my garden, but, alas, I have killed every rosemary plant I have ever bought or been gifted.

When we moved into this neighborhood I hoped that someone may have a huge rosemary bush sitting conveniently near the sidewalk in their front yard so that I could casually stroll by, scissors poised, and swipe a few handfuls for use in various savory and sweet dishes.


Sadly, the only rosemary bush (which is ginormous*, by the way) is in the middle of the traffic circle I drive around to enter our hood. I imagine that it soaks up quite a bit of exhaust, so I haven't snagged any rosemary from that bush. However, I have considered uprooting part of the plant and attempting a transfer into my own yard. I don't know if this would work, but it may have to be done at night so the neighbors don't notice. But I'm pretty sure digging out plants from the middle of the traffic circle in the dark would put me into the "crazy" category.


Wow. And now that you know the ridiculous extent of my rosemary woes and fantasies, here is the cookie recipe already...


Rosemary Walnut Maple Shortbread Cookies
makes about 20

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1/2 cup maple syrup (or white sugar**)
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together the butter and syrup (or sugar).
In a separate bowl, combine the four, salt, and rosemary.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until well combined. Mix in the nuts.
Drop the dough by heaping tablespoon onto a un-greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are just becoming golden brown around the edges. Let cool on a rack before eating with a hot cup of tea.

Enjoy,
Ashley

*Did you know "ginormous" is a legit word? Me either, until I googled it when spell check didn't red-squiggly underline it.

**Using maple syrup created a more chewy cookie, whereas the sugar caused the cookie to be crunchier. Also, the cookies made with maple syrup spread out slightly more while baking.

Another additional note: the rosemary begins very subtly, but actually becomes more flavorful after the cookies have been stored for a couple days. I prefer them with a strong flavor, so about three days after baking is ideal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment