June 27, 2011

Vietnamese Baguettes

I'm going to make this quick because, well, I haven't slept more than four hours straight in about a week (the child), and I've been busy writing restaurant reviews (which cost more to "research" than I get for writing them), and it's late... and I want to go to bed.


I guess I've been under the Asian influence lately, but I haven't been able to get Vietnamese baguettes out of my head. I've had them a few times from various places and have some valuable advise for you from these experiences: 1. if unidentifiable meat grosses you out, go for the vegetarian option and 2. the weird mayonnaise sauce is always sitting out on the counter and then is spread in a thick, warm layer onto your sandwich. So, you might want to go sauce-less and meat-less. Or, just make them at home.


Vietnamese baguettes
makes about 4 baguettes
1 long baguette, cut into 4 sandwich-size slices
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup white wine vinegar (rice vinegar would work also)
2 radishes, thinly sliced
1/2 carrot, cut into matchsticks
1/4 jalepeno, thinly sliced
1/2 of a small pickling cucumber, thinly sliced
1/4 bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce*
1 tbsp garlic chili sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp honey
1 or 2 cups shredded pre-grilled chicken or pork, or fried or grilled tofu
1 cup cilantro
Combine lime juice and vinegar in a bowl or pyrex. Add veggies (radishes through bell pepper). Let sit for at least an hour (I did four hours). Drain before assembling sandwiches.
For the sauce, combine the soy sauce through honey, stirring well to mix.
To assemble baguette: pour about 1 tbsp of the sauce onto the bread, then layer meat or tofu, pickled veggies, and cilantro. Enjoy.
*a note on 10/21/13- I must have used low sodium soy sauce for the sauce, because I made it again, and holy moley was it salty! Perhaps reduce the soy sauce or use a low sodium version

No comments:

Post a Comment