June 10, 2011

Happy Graduation Strawberry Scones

Parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and carloads full of distant relatives are headed to Corvallis this weekend. It is Oregon State University's graduation weekend.
This weekend makes me look back one year ago to my graduation weekend: the cap and gown, the parties, being handed my diploma... oh wait. I did not participate in any of that. I was 36 weeks pregnant.

(insert picture of me pregnant here... I seem to have deleted them all... can't imagine why...)

No, I did not sit in Reser Stadium for hours, crossing my legs in agony because I couldn't escape to use the bathroom, or waddle across the stage (still having to use the bathroom), or wear the cap and gown, looking like a ridiculous hippo in a tunic. My mind was on other small details that were to soon enter my life.
My husband's family and I did attend his engineering graduation ceremony (during which, I had to use the bathroom), and then we had a little party afterward. At this party, his grandparents gave me the best graduation gift ever: a cuisinart food processor. Although the whole idea behind the gift of a food processor was so that I could make baby food- which I did- I also love it for the ease it provides when making so many other things. Including scones.


Scones are easy to make regardless, but the food processor makes the process about five minutes. So, happy graduation to all you grads. And happy graduation to me. Have a scone.



Happy Graduation Strawberry Scones
makes 8 large scones, or 10 regular sized
adapted from allrecipes.com

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat white flour
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup butter, cold (actually, I used a couple less tbsps than this, and they were still plenty rich)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • a couple tbsps turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter, pulse until mixture is like a course meal. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and milk, and add to flour mixture, pulsing until incorporated.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Gently knead in strawberries and almonds. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Cut into 8 (or 10) wedges, and place on greased baking sheet, spread apart from one another so that they will not touch as they bake.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Let cool a few minutes before enjoying with a hot cup of coffee or tea. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment