May 02, 2012

blueberry lime scones


The last 24 hours have been a bit chaotic around here because, as you may know since I keep bringing it up, we finally bought a house after our crazy house hunt, and I was informed Tuesday afternoon that a potential renter is coming to look at our rental house tomorrow morning.


Our landlords have been so amazing to us that I want the house to look perfect and be absolutely spotless when the possible renters come to take a look at it. Unfortunately, due to recent illness (and the fact that one of the current renters is a toddler) our house is the opposite of spotless. My list of "to-dos" for today was about a mile long and included, but was in no way limited to: "deep clean bathrooms, deep clean kitchen, sweep and scrub all floors"... on and on it went. I had plans to go visit my dad, but cancelled so that I could stay home and clean. By about dinner time I decided that the house was actually probably in worse shape than if we had been gone all day. I have been trying to think of something witty to write on our chalkboard that would explain the mess to the people who will be touring through our home, but all I can think of is simply writing "I wish I could say it doesn't always look like this."


I am definitely the type of person that adds things to my to-do lists that were not there originally, but I need the satisfaction of crossing them off. Over the last two days it has been things like: "play at the park, stay up way too late watch episodes of Monk when I should be cleaning or sleeping, make scones a third time in less than a week to make sure the recipe I made up is actually good"... which brings me to the real point of this post: the scones.


After making three batches, James and I have deemed the recipe "blog worthy" and so here it is. And, honestly, I'm not too sad that we had to experiment by making three batches (he helped with every one of them) when we should have been scrubbing the floors.


Blueberry Lime Scones
makes 8 good sized scones

2 cups flour (I used 1 all-purpose and 1 whole wheat pastry)
1/3 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
zest of 1 or 2 limes
1/2 c butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 c milk (anything from heavy cream to soy milk will work)
1 egg
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 c blueberries (I used frozen and tried to remove excess moisture)
1 tbsp turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)

Place dry ingredients (flour through lime zest) into a food processor and pulse until mixed well. Add butter and pulse until a mixture resembling course sand has formed.

Beat the egg into the milk and pour into the dry ingredients, pulsing to incorporate. Add lime juice, mixing the  entire time. Gently stir blueberries into the dough.

Turn the dough out onto a well greased baking sheet and form into a round, flat shape, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges and attempt to separate the wedges. (If this doesn't work, you can also remove after baking about 15 minutes and separate the wedges then.) Sprinkle evenly with the turbinado sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the scones are light brown on top. Serve warm. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment