December 14, 2011

Basil and Kalamata Olive Egg Salad


Every once in a while, my husband I joke about how we wish we were the type of people who looked at food as fuel, and nothing else. As these non-foodie people we would have much more disciplined work-out routines and we would eat chicken breasts, brown rice, and steamed broccoli for dinner.


But, let's face it, we are not those people by any stretch of the imagination. We like food. He likes red meat. I like butter and sugar creamed together and baked. Despite my indulgences, I do crave semi-healthy food on a regular basis. I don't usually blog about it, because does anyone really want to know about roasted veggies that haven't been smothered in cheese or salad without bacon on it?


My latest semi-healthy craving has been egg salad. I can't stop thinking about it since I had the basil egg salad on kalamata olive bread at Grand Central Bakery. I made up my own version with kalamata olives in the egg salad. They add just the right amount of saltiness. In an effort to stick with a healthful theme I ate some of it over a bed of lettuce. However, if you don't share my present convictions, I wholeheartedly encourage you to eat it on a slice of toasted ciabatta.

Basil and Kalamata Olive Egg Salad
inspired by Grand Central Bakery
this recipe only made about two servings, but it could easily be multiplied

5 hard-boiled eggs
2 tbsp mayo (I used the olive-oil based kind)
1 tbsp good dijon mustard (I love Annie's Organic)
4 or 5 kalamata olives, sliced
1/4 cup torn basil leaves
black pepper to taste

Peel and roughly chop up eggs, place in a bowl. Add mayo and mustard, mix well. Stir in olives, and gently stir in basil. Season to taste with pepper. Enjoy.


P.S. What is everyone making for Santa this year? I can't decide on a cookie, and I need to stop "testing" every recipe I see. I must make something really good since I am asking him for a house in NE Portland for Christmas... any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment