September 12, 2011

A day in the life...

Every once in a while someone will ask me what a typical day looks like for James and I. As I list off our daily activities, I usually don't even make it to first snack before the questioner becomes bored and changes the subject or simply wanders off. Next time this happens, I will direct them to this post, which I have made slightly more exciting less boring by adding pictures and a couple recipes.

After a small morning ba-ba and diaper/clothes change, it's breakfast time. We eat cheesy eggs (I scramble four eggs for the two of us and I'm lucky to get one bite, no joke) or I make four pancakes and we each eat two. Our favorite pancakes in the world are a Cooking Light recipe that I have slightly adapted:

Fluffy Oatmeal-Buttermilk Pancakes
1 1/4 c lowfat buttermilk                                  3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats                                                    1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla                                                  2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp applesauce                                            1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten                                          1/2 tsp salt

Combine buttermilk, oats, and vanilla, let sit 10 minutes. Add egg and applesauce. In a separate bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add wet ingredients. Cook on a buttered griddle over medium heat. Enjoy.

After breakfast we leash up Sadie, pack up the stroller and head out for our morning walk.

We only take Sadie for about 15 minutes, then she gets dropped off at the house and James and I make the trek (1 block) to the park. At the park we run around, climb the structure, slide down the slide, swing (on mommy's lap, of course) and pick up a lot of rocks, bark chips, and sticks.

By the time we get home, provisions are needed. Morning snack usually consists of dairy (cheese, cottage cheese, or yogurt) and fruit. Then stories, and down for a nap. This is the only time of day that chores are done, and, every once in a while, relaxation may occur.

About an hour and a half later, he's up! And running, dancing, and playing.
Lunch comes soon after nap. It generally consists of a quesadilla, PB and J, or grilled cheese and more fruit. Then, we chase each other around, play with blocks and balls, do our "happy feet" dance (stomping around quickly in one place), and empty and rearrange every drawer and cabinet in the house.

Sometimes we run errands in the afternoon, or visit a different park.
Naturally, after all this activity, we need another snack. Carbohydrates are usually necessary by this point to re-fuel. Sometimes we have crackers, but more likely it's banana bread or muffins that I've made.

Whole wheat lemon-berry muffins
makes 2 dozen muffins

6 tbsp trans-fat free tub margarine (such as Earth Balance)
2/3 c brown sugar                                                   3 c whole wheat flour
1 c buttermilk                                                         1/2 tsp salt
1 carton (8 oz) low-fat yogurt                                 2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten                                               2 tsp baking soda
zest and extract of 1 lemon                                     2 c berries
1 c all-purpose flour                                               2 tbsp raw sugar

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and brown sugar. Stir in the buttermilk, yogurt, eggs and lemon zest and extract. Sprinkle flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda over the mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in berries. Pour evenly into two muffin tins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle raw sugar evenly over the muffins. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool in tins 5 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy.

On particularly lucky yet rare days, James goes down for another nap in the afternoon. This is when dinner is started (yes, around four, and sometimes it's done by six).

Daddy's arrival home is a very exciting event, and he is met at the door by a wagging dog, a squealing boy, and an exhausted wife. Lane usually throws James around and they wrestle for a while (guy stuff that James loves to do, but mommy doesn't really know how).
Then, it's James fifth meal of the day: dinner. He usually eats a little of whatever we are having, but modified for him, such as chicken, steamed veggies, and buttered-noodle-nums.

After dinner we sometimes go for a family walk (weather permitting), or play inside.
Around seven, James takes a tub (usually a "daddy job" while mommy does a little damage control around the house). He loves splashing in the tub and putting his hands under the faucet while the water runs. As soon as we start the bath, he runs in the bathroom and tries to step into the tub, fully clothed.

When he is all clean, James gets lotioned up and put into pjs. Then we round up bink, blankie, and Bear and sit in the rocker and read stories. This can last up to 20 minutes, but it usually lasts about 5 because James is ready for nigh-nigh-time-ba-ba, after which he gets his teeth brushed and goes to bed and sleeps soundly for 12 hours...
Okay, that last part isn't completely true, but a mom can dream, right?
Anyway, if you have stuck with me through the daily recap you are most likely a direct relative, or just really bored. In any case, our life is not fascinating and our days are not glamorous, but our little family is very blessed, and our days are filled with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment