May 08, 2014

the best oatmeal ever (yes, ever)



Strangely enough, I was never served oatmeal as a kid. At least, never any memorable oatmeal.


It was in college that I really fell in love with oatmeal. So filling. So versatile. So cheap.


 About once a year I overdose on oatmeal and vow to never eat another bowl. But then, usually about a week later, I remind myself how easy and inexpensive it is, and how, if you make it correctly, it tastes just like dessert.


 The Best Oatmeal Ever

5 cups water
pinch salt
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/3 cup 10-grain hot cereal (I use Bob's Red Mill)
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 heaping cup frozen berries
1/2 cup greek yogurt (or Nancy's vanilla, oh yum)
nuts (such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts) and ground flax meal for serving

Heat water over the highest heat you have, adding the pinch of salt when it gets close to boiling. Stir in oats and hot cereal. Turn heat down one click (on my stove I turn the "10" down to a "9")

Cook oatmeal, stirring frequently, until water is dissolved, about 20 minutes. Turn the heat to low and stir in coconut oil until it has melted. Stir in brown sugar, then berries; then remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
Spoon into bowls and sprinkle nuts and flax meal on top, if desired.

Enjoy!
Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment