January 14, 2012

I yam what I yam: a corny pancake recipe



I have previously claimed that I am not into cheesy recipe names, but I was lying in bed last night dreaming of these pancakes (what, not everyone dreams of breakfast as they are trying to fall asleep?) and Cheaper by the Dozen Part II kept popping into my head, causing me to laugh out loud in bed:


image from this website after I google-imaged it


Such a perfect nerdy dad T-shirt. I love it.


Anyway, I was thinking about that shirt because I had baked and peeled a yam, and I wanted to use it for breakfast. What better use for it than to put it into one of my top ten favorite foods: pancakes.


...and why else is it corny beside the play on words with "yam"? Oh, because I put corn meal in the pancakes. I know, so clever.


Also clever is that you have given your family a serving of vegetables, a hit of protein, and a some good, healthy carbs to start their day.


I yam what I yam: a corny pancake recipe
1 yam, baked and peeled
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
butter for cooking
real maple syrup for drizzling

Place first five ingredients (through vanilla) in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
Place dry ingredients (ww flour through allspice) in a medium bowl and whisk together. Add wet ingredients and stir just to combine. Let sit while the griddle heats.
Melt a little butter on a griddle over medium heat. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle and flip when bubbles form on the top. Allow to cook through. (note that pancakes will be moist inside, even when cooked well) Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. These look delish...we love pancakes too so keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete